Indian Head and Twin Mountain is a difficult hike and is a part of Devil’s Path. Total distance is 7.84 mile loop with excellent views of Catskills region at any time of the year.
- Good Views
- Wild Flower
Table of Contents
Devil’s Path is ranked as #14 of 15 “Most Dangerous and Deadly Hikes in the World” as rated by Business Insider article, linked here.
Reasonably large parking space. The trail can get busy quickly and the parking lot does fill up.
- NY-NJ Trail Conference Catskills Map Set (includes Map 141)
- Avenza Maps NY-NJ TC Map 141
Trail Map, Elevation and Statistics
Max elevation: 3688 ft
Min elevation: 2040 ft
Total climbing: 3005 ft
- [0.0 miles] Enter the trail with red trail markers.
- [0.23 miles]At the first split, go left following the red trail markers towards Echo Lake / Indian Head Mt.
- [1.50 miles] Turn right following red/blue trail markers towards Indian Head.
- [1.58 miles] Turn right back with the red trail markers towards Indian Head.
- [3.58 miles] At just shy of 3,600 foot elevation, Indian Head peak.
- [3.98 miles] Indian Head peak is complete. Continue straight following red trail markers towards Twin Mountain
- [4.25 miles] First of Twin Peaks. Continue on the trail to the next twin peak.
- [4.89 miles] Second of Twin Peaks. Time to turn back around. Be careful to not go the wrong way, easy to get on the wrong footpath!!
- [5.97 miles] Bottom of Twin Peaks. Turn left following blue trail markers towards Platte Clove Road.
- [7.56 miles] At the merger continue left following the red trail markers towards Platte Clove Road.
- [7.84 miles] Finish
Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day!
Special notice to keep an eye out on black bear activity in this territory. Make lots of noise or bring along bear bells. Bears don’t like to be surprised.
Well done stepping stones on some of the muddy sections of the trail.
Feels man made with three trees fallen with none of them blocking the trail.
Nature’s own beauty.
Looks like a Fowler’s toad.
Beautiful root work hugging the trail.
View leading up to Indian Peak.
Fun challenging scramble up to a great view at the top and continuation of trail.
[3.58 miles] At just shy of 3,600 foot elevation, Indian Head peak.
Good incline hiking up towards Twin Mountain.
Favorite view of all.
Amazing view from the top of Twin Mountain peak.
Return trail is littered with stones on the way back, hard on knees and difficult to get a good step. Be careful.
Return to parking lot.